Re: documenting on how not starting a daemon upon installation

Marvin Renich <mrvn@renich.org> writes:

> I don't believe this is correct, though I could be wrong.  I believe
> policy-rc.d is sufficient for both systemd and sysvinit systems, and
> that it is necessary for _packages_ that only ship an init script and
> not a service file, regardless of the init system in use.

> Can you tell me,

> A)  Does systemctl mask work for packages that do not have a systemd
> service file when systemd is the init system?

> B)  Can systemctl mask be run on a subdirectory that you are about to
> chroot into, but have not yet done so?

I believe both of these are true.

The way systemctl mask works is that it creates a null unit file (a link
to /dev/null) that overrides any installed unit file for that service.
init scripts are supported in systemd by generating units from the init
scripts and are masked by any actual unit file, so the one created by
systemctl mask will also prevent the init script from running.

The implementation creates a file in /etc/systemd, so I don't see any
reason why it wouldn't work with a chroot, although maybe there's some
wrinkle that I've not thought of.