Re: documenting on how not starting a daemon upon installation

On Tue, 2020-03-10 at 19:39 +0500, Andrey Rahmatullin wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 10, 2020 at 02:33:50PM +0000, jnqnfe@gmail.com wrote:
> > If the policy-rc.d solution is the modern/best/whatever solution,
> > the
> > fact that live-build/debootstrap also includes the 'moving start-
> > stop-
> > daemon' trick is either indeed a left over from before systemd (I
> > do
> > not know the history of it), or is left to ensure compatibility
> > without
> > systemd?, because of course for a long time systemd has been
> > considered
> > a choice, and perhaps still is (not that I want to start another
> > systemd vs alternatives discussion).
> policy-rc.d is much older than systemd.

oh okay, forgive my ignorance of that matter

if that is so and policy-rc-d is applicable to both systemd and non-
systemd situations, then perhaps live-build and debootstrap should
consider dropping the 'move start-stop-daemon' solution as redundant?
the original author of live-build left the project so can't be asked
why it existed (git hostory did not help much when I previously looked)
and I am ignorant as to whether it serves any other purpose than being
an older (?) secondary solution for the same thing... I could discuss
it with the current maintainers; if anyone has any useful info to
support it being unnecessary that could be helpful in any such proposal
of removal (I'm currently doing a lot of live-build contributing)...