Re: CentOS and Debian/Ubuntu release cycles

Le 10/12/2020 à 08:05, Marco d'Itri a écrit :
On Dec 10, Joel Wirāmu Pauling <joel@aenertia.net> wrote:

is. Binary compat is mostly a thing of the past in modern Rhel due to
containerization. Container tooling in userspace is one of the reasons RH
Cool narrative, but the reality is a bit more complex than that.
Fibre Channel users need very specific kernels or else the hardware
vendors will refuse support (and their vendor drivers will not compile).

For example, my current employee use CentOS for videosurveillance. In a lot of locations (100+), we still have analog cameras, that use V4L2 grabbing cards with an out-of-tree kernel driver that I painfully maintain myself (it is unclear if we only have the rights to modify its source).

Containers are completely impossible for this use case. And because of our decentralized installation, we almost need one server by geographical location anyway, so it's a bit useless to have one server with two containers.

I also have to admit that I'm a bit tired of this containerization-mania. Container orchestration requires a lot of tooling, and I guess that selling tools (of support for them) is a valid business strategy. But we also have the right to say no to it :)

Adrien