Re: CentOS and Debian/Ubuntu release cycles

On Thu, Dec 10, 2020 at 8:22 AM Adrien CLERC wrote:
> Le 10/12/2020 à 08:05, Marco d'Itri a écrit :
> > Cool narrative, but the reality is a bit more complex than that.
> > Fibre Channel users need very specific kernels or else the hardware
> > vendors will refuse support (and their vendor drivers will not compile).
>
> For example, my current employee use CentOS for videosurveillance. In a
> lot of locations (100+), we still have analog cameras, that use V4L2
> grabbing cards with an out-of-tree kernel driver that I painfully
> maintain myself (it is unclear if we only have the rights to modify its
> source).

Both of these situations sound like things that should get solved by
rewriting the vendor/O-O-T code and including it in mainline
Linux/etc, is there any chance of that happening? Or alternatively,
for significant future hardware acquisitions, require mainline support
before purchase.

--
bye,
pabs