Re: Split Packages files based on new section "buildlibs"

On Tue, 2020-11-10 at 10:07 +0000, Simon McVittie wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Nov 2020 at 10:45:07 +0100, Johannes Schauer wrote:
> > I'm confused. We are packaging libraries of language X but then those
> > packages
> > will not be used by people who write software for language X on
> > Debian?
> > Intuitively, should I ever start with Rust, I would've thought that I
> > had to
> > install librust-clap-dev if I want to write code using "clap". What
> > else would
> > I install?
>
> The Rust community's expectation seems to be that you would install
> cargo,
> and use that to download and build the clap package directly from
> upstream,
> without apt/dpkg being involved at all.

I don't know that that means we should abandon efforts to integrate the
debian packages into usable code.

Rubygems has a similar expectation: however, there is a package (rubygems-
integration) that makes it work anyways.  With Ruby, the only (user-
obvious) difference between installing via gem and via deb is the package
version.  What about Rust makes that impossible?

Pip packages are the same, but they are designed that way, so I don't
count it.  NPM packages aren't quite as well integrated (or maybe they
just update too fast), but they are still used.

There might be something about how cargo works that makes this kind of
integration impossible, similar to how the Nix package manager doesn't
play well with others.  But I don't think we should just segregate Rust
libraries to a corner of the archive without at least considering it.

Thanks,
Calum M.