Re: Mass bugs filing: autopkgtest should be marked superficial (new list)

On Mon, 21 Sep 2020 at 09:09:51 -0300, Antonio Terceiro wrote:
> Maybe you could include something like this (the wording can be improved):
>
>   Note, however, that such superficial tests are still somewhat useful,
>   as they will be considered, for example, to block dependencies from
>   breaking your package. In other words, please do not react to this bug
>   report by dropping tests from your package completely. More extensive
>   testing is of course better, but even superficial tests are better for
>   the overal quality of Debian than no tests at all.

Perhaps a more positive way to phrase the bug report would be to lead with
this, and then go on to say why these tests should be marked superficial?
That will hopefully reduce the tendency for maintainers to remove tests in
response.

It's also really useful for the template that is discussed on -devel to
mention the usertags that are going to be used (if any), so that it's
easy to search for them in a machine-readable way. It looks as though
the bugs that have already been filed are usertagged to appear in
<https://udd.debian.org/cgi-bin/bts-usertags.cgi?user=sudipm.mukherjee%40gmail.com&tag=superficialtest>
so let's go with that.

In cases like this where the change is so trivial to make and so similar
across multiple packages, it's probably also useful to link to examples
of a maintainer making this change correctly, like [3] and [4] below.

Maybe something like this (I'm making some assumptions here about what the
release team does and doesn't encourage, so don't actually use this wording
until someone from the RT has acknowledged it):