Re: How much data load is acceptable in debian/ dir and upstream

On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 04:55:41PM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:

>   Provided that license and copyright of the data in question is OK
>   is there any size limit for data to be stored under debian/?

my 2 cents: debian/ should not be used for much data: It will be duplicated by the upload
of every package revision. So (being extreme now), having several hundreds of MiB would
be quite expensive in terms of storage overheade.

I have not idea how much "much data" is, for sure to be defined by FTP masters.

For another 2 cents, if data would exceed the size of the debian.tar.gz by a
magnitude or two, I would go for a source package.

Summing up to 6 cents, my feeling is that storing data in debian/ is not the best
approach. Have you talked to upstream to include the data in their source. After all,
this would benefit the whole community if upstream has a good test suite?

Cheers,
--
tobi