Re: Nitrokey for DDs

Quoting Zlatan Todorić (2020-09-09 20:21:18)
> On 9/9/20 7:48 PM, jathan wrote:
> >
> >> https://github.com/nitrokey

> > I find interesting and very nice Nitrokey as they are making their
> > products with Free Software! I think your proposal is good. Do you
> > know if the hardware of their keys is Open Hardware too? Anyway,
> > consider myself to help them keep growing as independent FOSS
> > vendor. Thanks for sharing this!
>
> I snipped rest of my mail but you can see the part where I left the
> github page and there they also publish their hardware schematics. :)

We all got different skills.  Personally, after trying with several
products to sift through git repositories for schematics, I have learned
that I cannot reliably assess if those are enough to build such hardware
or it only covers a subset or an outdated revision or maybe is missing
BOM or whatever.

So for folks as weakly skilled as myself in the art of Open Source
Hardware, a shortcut is to try lookup the product at
https://certification.oshwa.org/list.html

Currenly that database lists 6 nitrokey products as being Open Source
Hardware Alliance certified.

NB! Beware that saying "Open Hardware" about hardware is vague and
ambiguous similar as "free" is for software - better to say "Open Source
Hardware", and even better to explicitly ask for "OSHWA certification".

 - Jonas