Re: Lenovo and forced labor [was: Re: Lenovo discount portal update (and a few other things)]

Hi,

Quoting Tomas Pospisek (2020-09-03 10:47:06)
> I think before jumping on this offer, one should consider this:
> https://www.aspi.org.au/report/uyghurs-sale

I think this is an important aspect to consider. Thanks a lot for bringing it
up!

Just as when we buy clothing or food, we often do not consider the
circumstances in which our consumer electronics were produced.

Quoting jathan (2020-09-03 16:45:56)
> If you need a laptop and do not want to buy a new one from Lenovo, I suggest
> to you to buy a Librem 14 or 15 of Purism:
> https://puri.sm/products/librem-14/

Purism has this on their homepage:

https://puri.sm/about/manufacturing-and-sourcing/

> And as another option you could buy a used Lenovo ThinkPad laptop in good
> conditions from someone in Internet,

That's what I have been doing. My last Lenovo Laptops have costed me 150 EUR
off ebay and I see no reason anymore to buy my personal hardware new instead of
used or refurbished.

As we are now talking about alternatives, there is also the MNT Reform Laptop
which might be especially interesting for people who are into libre hard- and
software:

https://mntre.com/reform/

Thanks!

cheers, josch