Re: Lenovo and forced labor [was: Re: Lenovo discount portal update (and a few other things)]

Quoting Domenico Andreoli (2020-09-03 15:31:32)
> On Thu, Sep 03, 2020 at 10:47:06AM +0200, Tomas Pospisek wrote:
> > On 02.09.20 15:08, Mark Pearson wrote:
> > > Hi Debian developers,
> > >
> > > Following on from DebConf 2020 (which I thoroughly enjoyed - thank you!)
> > > the Lenovo portal that was announced is now available:
> > >
> > > US: http://www.lenovo.com/us/en/Linux
> > > Canada: http://www.lenovo.com/ca/en/linuxca
> >
> > I think before jumping on this offer, one should consider this:
> > https://www.aspi.org.au/report/uyghurs-sale
> >
> > Lenovo is by far not the only company producing laptops with forced
> > labor involved, however they have not - as of today - as far as I can
> > see - cared to comment on those report at all:
> >
> > * they have neither denied nor ack'ed it
> > * and they haven't said either that they'd no longer use forced labor to
> > produce their wares
> >
> > I'd conclude from that, that Lenovo still is, will be, and is not
> > planing to stop using forced labor to produce those laptops.
> >
> > I'm not sure there are alternatives: I have not researched them
> > intensively yet - I am currently in need of a new laptop too, so I'll
> > have to look around whether there are other brands that do not rely on
> > companies that employ forced labor. Pointers welcome.
>
> You may want to consider System76 [0] and Purism [1].
>
> They are not in the force labor lists pointed in this thread, maybe
> they are ethically better than the others.
>
> Dom
>
> [0] https://system76.com
> [1] https://puri.sm

I agree¹ that those are great options to consider, but beware that
companies *not* appearing in such lists might simply be too small for
investigative journalists to scrutinize their full supply chain.

 - Jonas

¹ full disclosure: I am paid by Purism for some of my Debian work