Re: DEP-14: renaming master to main?

Hello!

Just my 2 cents: I hope Debian would not rush to any changes here.
Lets just stay neutral for now. The subject seems very US-centric and
there is a risk that it is creating division among people forcing them
to take sides on issues that previously were not political at all.

Here is some background of what philosophical meaning the term had in git:

https://public-inbox.org/git/20200618152300.cw7teo2jmxyfsl2l@chatter.i7.local/
> This is actually an important philosophical point with software like
> git. There is no such thing as master.kernel.org for the very specific
> reason that we position kernel.org to be merely a convenient place where
> to get a *copy* of Linux. The "master copy" of the mainline tree exists
> only in one place -- on Linus's computer.

Let's wait and see if upstream Git changes the default, then others
will naturally follow next time they run 'git init'.

So far upstream git has removed a couple of mentions of slavs:
- https://github.com/git/git/commit/f33b5bddaf7ac1535c6c37fde168597e252872b3
- https://github.com/git/git/commit/08dc26061f3ff9ee79e6cfda88f0c825b8730e54

Python had a similar discussion in 2018 and they concluded that the
term 'master' does not have any political undertone when used in git
master, postmaster or hostmaster: https://bugs.python.org/issue34605