Re: Temporary(?) bundling of code that may not warrant its own package

On 2020-05-20 10:16 +0200, Gard Spreemann wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> Upstream for a package I maintain has as of its latest release started
> bundling and requiring a third-party header-only library. I am
> considering packaging that third-party library (it's useful to me, at
> the very least) but I think it's a borderline case of whether it
> warrants being a package on its own. In particular, it does not do
> versioned releases, and it comes with no documentation

I don't think those are reasons particularly in favour of
bundling. Plenty of software doesn't do proper releases any more. Just
use 0~<date> type versioning to allow for them eventually doing a
release 0.1 or whatever. Again obscure software is quite often poorly
documented - you are expected to know the field.

If it is useful beyond this one package (and it sounds like it is) I'd
just package it. A headers-only library is relatively quick and easy to do.

> would track the bundling as a bug and act on it when/if a separate
> package enters Debian.

Would you necessarily notice when another package using this
dependency enters the archive?

Wookey
http://wookware.org/