'No such file or directory' while building coreutils from source package
I'm trying to build coreutils according to the manual at https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/build.en.html. Unfortunately this fails with the error message noted below. I hope this is the right mailing list, please excuse me if it is the wrong one. There are quite a few.
The machine is running Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster) on x86_64.
# What I did:
1. `apt-get install build-essential`
2. `apt-get install gettext debhelper autotools-dev texinfo groff libattr1-dev libacl1-dev libselinux1-dev gperf bison` as these are the packages which are listed in the `Build-Depends` section of `coreutils_8.30-3.debian.tar.xz/debian/control`.
3. Created following directory structure:
~/dir/debian-coreutils/<unpacked content of coreutils_8.30-3.debian.tar.xz>
4. `cd ~/dir/debian-coreutils/`
5. `dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc`
Now it fails with
make: Entering directory '/home/username/dir/debian-coreutils'
# some things go in root rather than usr
for f in cat chgrp chmod chown cp date dd df dir echo false ln ls mkdir mknod mv pwd readlink rm rmdir vdir sleep stty sync touch true uname mktemp; do \
mv debian/coreutils/usr/bin/$f debian/coreutils/bin/$f; \
mv: cannot stat 'debian/coreutils/usr/bin/cat': No such file or directory
mv: cannot stat 'debian/coreutils/usr/bin/chgrp': No such file or directory
mv: cannot stat 'debian/coreutils/usr/bin/chmod': No such file or directory
<and so on>
My final goal is to get some experience with debugging. I want to build a debian package with little dependencies including a dbgsym package. Then I want to introduce a bug in the source code, and use the gdbsym package to trace the bug in gdb.
Thank you and kind regards,