Re: Mass bug filing: dependencies on GTK 2

On Wed, 29 Apr 2020 at 23:58:01 +0200, Adam Borowski wrote:
> I wonder, perhaps it'd be better to use "normal" for packages that _use_
> GTK2, and no bug at all for those that provide an input method/theme/etc
> for GTK2+3?

If I can immediately identify a package as providing one of those, I'll
skip it; but I don't know what all of those 645 packages do, and their
maintainers would know better than I do. If there's any doubt, I'd prefer
to open the bug, so that maintainers won't get a nasty surprise in however
many years' time when we actually try to remove GTK 2.

I'm trying to make sure that maintainers of packages that depend on
something deprecated have plenty of warning, by opening low-severity bugs
far in advance of a library actually being in any danger of removal,
rather than waiting until the library is a serious problem and opening
bugs that immediately have important or RC severity. However, the
higher we raise the bar for the amount of work involved in announcing a
deprecation, the less likely it is that members of the team maintaining
the deprecated library will have the necessary time to do it (in addition
to maintaining what they already maintain).

    smcv