Re: Mass bug filing: dependencies on GTK 2

On Wed, 29 Apr 2020 at 21:48:55 +0200, Johannes Schauer wrote:
> I wasn't able to figure out what code is generating this but usually the right
> tool to analyze transitive dependency relationships is dose3 or tools using it
> like build-rdeps from devscripts.

I generated the MBF list by using dak, on the DD-accessible mirror of the
Debian ftp archive, to ask "if I removed gtk+2.0, what would it break?":

    dak rm -R -n gtk+2.0

This is probably the best tool to use when your goal is to remove a
package, because it's literally the same code that the ftp team would run
(although on a different machine and without -n) to do the removal. It
can also be run with "-b" to ask what would happen if you removed one or
more binary packages, for example to see whether a transitional package
can be dropped.

In the case of gtk+2.0 I think we're a long way away from being able to
consider removing it, but dak is still a useful tool to see what would
happen if we did.

    smcv