Re: Third-party forks of packaged projects

On Fri, Apr 24, 2020 at 9:29 PM Kyle Edwards wrote:

> I have a question about how Debian handles modifications to third-party
> dependencies. Sometimes a project relies on another project, but has
> made modifications to that project that never went into upstream,
> either because upstream has abandoned the project or because the
> changes are not appropriate for upstream. In that case, the depending
> project "vendors" the third-party dependency with the modifications
> that it needs.
>
> Obviously, "vendored" dependencies are a no-go in Debian, but how do
> situations like this get resolved? I'm imagining the modified project
> could be packaged on its own the way any fork would - in that manner,
> it would not be much different from packaging MariaDB even though a
> package for MySQL already exists. Is my intuition correct here?

It is easiest to discuss this if you provide specifics rather than
hypothetical scenarios.

The best option would be that the upstream project comes alive again;
either by the previously inactive maintainers, or by the people
depending on it taking it over, or forking it if taking it over isn't
possible. Once that happens the downstream modifications from projects
that depend on it or from the distros can be merged.

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise