Re: Recommending packages via virtual package

On Tue, 2020-04-14 at 15:19 +0200, David Kalnischkies wrote:
> Lets ignore for the moment that wordpress actually doesn't have the
> recommends line which is the TOPIC OF THE THREAD, but has instead a
> "Depends: apache2 | httpd" among other things (← hint hint):
>
> $ apt install wordpress nginx -so Debug::pkgDepCache::Marker=1
> […]
>   MarkInstall nginx:amd64 < none -> 1.16.1-3 @un puN Ib > FU=1
> […]
>   MarkInstall wordpress:amd64 < none -> 5.4+dfsg1-1 @un puN Ib > FU=1
>     MarkInstall libapache2-mod-php:amd64 < none -> 2:7.4+75 @un uN Ib > FU=0
>       MarkInstall libapache2-mod-php7.4:amd64 < none -> 7.4.3-4 @un uN Ib >
> FU=0
> […]
>         MarkInstall apache2:amd64 < none -> 2.4.43-1 @un uN Ib > FU=0
> […]
>
> So, the reason you get apache2 installed is the second(!) dependency:
> "libapache2-mod-php | libapache2-mod-php5 | php | php5" which isn't THAT
> surprising or very hard to find, is it?

You are right, PHP meta packages are the problem. The effective package was
icingaweb2, but I tried to use a more commonly known package for my question.

> I would hence ask you to explain a bit better why you think APT is wrong
> and provide an example which actually shows these characteristics.
> Otherwise I will apparently be a tiny bit annoyed by this thread.

Why so passive aggressive here? I asked for help and tried to explain in a
short and simple way.

I'm not very deep into APTs debugging features in terms of dependencies. Thanks
for pointing me in the right direction.

Regards
Markus

--