Re: Overinterpretation of DFSG? QR code for receiving donation is non-free???

On Wed, Apr 01, 2020 at 10:37:07AM +0200, Gard Spreemann wrote:
> Or, another example that I can imagine plausibly arising in practice:
> suppose a terrabyte of raw data was collected from a scientific
> experiment or simulation in order to produce (among other things) a plot
> in the form of a 100 KB image that it is useful to distribute in
> documentation that goes along with some DFSG-free code. Clearly the
> "preferred form of modification" is the raw data, together with the code
> that processed it, but it seems unpractical to expect the maintainer to
> go through a laborious process that perhaps even requires highly
> specialized expertise in order to distribute the raw data and reassemble
> the plot from it.

In this case I agree that distributing the resulting image as is, is the
sensible thing to do. Another thing came up in my mind, quite
interesting, is that if the resulting product is a pre-trained neural
network, I get completely reversed conclusion ...

Further, some neural networks are trained from the wikipedia dump
(CC-licensed). Are we uploading wikipedia dumps to the archive when our
users need to use these models?

What's the essential difference between a jpg picture and a pretrained
neural network then? They are both multi-dimensional numerical arrays
from an abstract perspective, but a normal human can understand and
modify the picture pixels, while not being able to understand or modify
the network prarameters.