Re: Overinterpretation of DFSG? QR code for receiving donation is non-free???

Hi,

On Mon, 30 Mar 2020, Didier 'OdyX' Raboud wrote:
> > How should package maintainers deal with QR codes ethically?
>
> Asking package maintainers to rebuild functionally-equivalent QR-codes during
> the build-process seems entirely reasonable to me.

To me it looks like wasting my time. There are many pictures that are
not the preferred form of modification but we accept them as is when
there's no proof/evidence that some other source exist.

And here there's no other source really, the source is the string
associated to the QR code. QR code and the string are two different
representation of the same underlying data.

I don't see what it buys us to regenerate the picture during the build
process. Yes you gain the ability to change it, but changing it is not
really nice to the upstream developer (and changing the picture is as easy
as changing the source URL in debian/rules). And on the opposite, if upstream
changes the link, the you break it without noticing (unless you put even
more code to first extract the link from the picture and then re-encode
it).

Cheers,
--
  ⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀   Raphaël Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org>