Re: Overinterpretation of DFSG? QR code for receiving donation is non-free???

On Mon, Mar 30, 2020 at 1:54 PM Mo Zhou <lumin@debian.org> wrote:
>   <ScottK> lumin: An image of a QR code wouldn't be the preferred form of
>   modification.  They are usually generated from something.  If the file it was
>   generated from isn't present and the tool to generate it isn't in Debian, then
>   it can't be shipped.  Requiring preferred form of modification is one area
>   where Debian is often stricter than licenses due to DFSG.

IMO, the QR picture is preferred form of modification as well as the
origin text.
1. There's no info loss if you convert from one to another.
2. I consider a base64 string of a non-readable ascii character a
preferred format than the origin character.
3. In this case, the origin url(especially the wechat url is
non-readable) is not supporsed to modify. If I want to modify, I just
replace the whole image.

Then, the question is that the picture is generated by a program not in Debian.
But, these pictures are in the documents, not in the program, thus not
affect the program's functions.
And, I consider this situation just like I use an MS word to produce a
.docx file and place it in my source tree.
And I don't think I need to strip this docx file if I want to package
it in Debian.

--
Shengjing Zhu