Re: What to do when DD considers policy to be optional? [kubernetes]

On Thu, 2020-03-26 at 19:57 +0100, Andrej Shadura wrote:
> An example: commercial users. They need to know *exactly* what they
> are running and under which licenses. They often want to be holier
> not
> only than the Pope, but holier than the whole population of Poland,
> Italy and Spanish-speaking countries altogether (I hope I don’t
> offend
> anyone with this comparison, it’s meant as a joke). They are often
> bound by regulations with heavy fines for violating them, and not
> only
> fines, but a threat of your product being banned, and that often
> means
> they want only specific licenses in their products.
>
> And then there are Debian derivatives that cater to such commercial
> users. And guess what? The users tell the makers of the derivatives
> debian/copyright data that comes from Debian is not sufficiently
> strict or precise, and for that they need to set up their own
> processes to double-check and review the Debian copyright data.

Is it Debian's responsibility to cater to commercial users though?
Debian is not receiving commercial funding, or at least not directly.
It seems to me like the responsibility for this work falls on the
commercial users, not Debian.

Kyle