Re: What to do when DD considers policy to be optional? [kubernetes]

On 2020-03-24 19:08 +0000, Janos LENART wrote:
> Hi Dimitry, FTP masters and others,
> 4. TESTING. The Kubernetes releases are meticulously tested, with far greater
> technical resources that Debian can collectively muster.

On how many architectures? Debian's support of multiple architectures
often differentiates it from upstream, which sometimes knows little or
nothing of !x86. I don't know if kubernetes is doing a good job of
testing on other arches, but it's important to consider those when
thinking about the tradeoffs here.

I do know this is important software on arm64 too, and agree with Russ
that it's nice to have things packaged even where they are largely
what you would get from upstream, just because one only has to learn
one package manager, and can assume that policy has been followed at
least in terms of layout.

I am not at all happy with the tendency of some developer
groups/projects to bundle like crazy, but it's also true that there
are constraints on the degree to which we can and should (try to) fix
that for them. You make some good points in defense of your approach,
and thank you for responding cogently at length, but I'm not (yet)
convinced by the argument that we shouldn't try at all in this case.

Wookey
http://wookware.org/