Re: What to do when DD considers policy to be optional? [kubernetes]

 ❦ 24 mars 2020 10:14 +00, Paul Wise:

>> Kubernetes is already using Go modules. They happen to have decided to
>> keep shipping a `vendor/` directory but this is not uncommon. It is
>> often considered as a protection against disappearing modules. So, there
>> is nothing to be done upstream. And BTW, there are currently 616
>> dependencies, pinned to a specific version.
>
> I wonder if the existence of Software Heritage could convince them
> disappearing modules aren't a problem, or if another service is
> needed.

There are other reasons, notably that you speed up builds by having all
the source code ready. If the vendor/ directory wasn't there, the
presence of `go.sum` would ensure you get something reproducible by
downloading all the deps, but I think it implies a full checkout of all
deps, which can be lengthy. There is also a caching mechanism (local and
remote).
--
Make sure every module hides something.