Re: trimming changelogs

On Fri, Mar 20, 2020 at 12:50:29AM +0100, Adam Borowski wrote:
> In the rush for cutting away small bits of minbase, it looks like we forgot
> a big pile of junk: /usr/share/doc/

Honestly, on space constraint systems, isn't the whole /usr/share/doc
directory "junk". Probably not the solution for everyone or as
a default, but I want to highlight that dpkg supports excluding files
and entire paths from being unpacked:

$ cat /etc/dpkg/dpkg.cfg.d/01_exclude_paths
| path-exclude /usr/share/doc/*
| path-include /usr/share/doc/*/copyright
|
| path-exclude /usr/share/locale/*
| path-include /usr/share/locale/en*
| path-exclude /usr/share/man/*
| …

Sure, all these files are handy to have on a "normal" system, but that
is the point: If I want to look at them, I want to do that 99,9% of the
time on a normal system, not on a single-purpose minbase(based) one –
where I don't even have a sane editor available (SCNR).

> Ubuntu keep only 10 last entries, for _all_ packages.

The benefit of treating all packages the same is that tools working with
changelogs can handle the grunt work: "apt{,-get} changelog pkg" prefers
the changelog on disk if available – except for repositories which
identify as "Ubuntu" for which it will always download the online
changelog for display.

Assuming the repository supports it. I have yet to encounter
a third-party which does, so if Debian would trim e.g. in debhelper by
default some care might need to be applied so that this happens only to
packages which end up in Debians repositories… which could complicate
reproducibility as its clear for a buildd, but my local sbuild…

Best regards

David Kalnischkies