Re: RFC: Replacing vim-tiny with nano in essential packages

Hi Thomas!

On 3/16/20 12:31 PM, Thomas Pircher wrote:
John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
I would like to suggest to replace vim-tiny with nano as the default minimal
editor installed with debootstrap and therefore debian-installer.

Would you consider nvi as an alternative to vim-tiny? It is quite small
and is functional enough to edit the occasional config file when
necessary.

Since nvi [1] does not suffer from the same regular build problems as vim,
I'm perfectly fine with nvi over nano if this should be up for decision.

My only goal is to avoid the d-i build problems in the future that the
regular build failures of the vim package cause.

A user who does a lot of editing will probably install a better editor
than {vim-tiny,nvi} anyways. And it would minimise disruption to people
who expect some form of vi to be installed on the system.
Sure. I just wasn't thinking of nvi when I wrote my mail :).

Adrian

[1] https://buildd.debian.org/status/package.php?p=nvi&suite=sid

+1 for nvi - it's a very good editor of last resort. Vi compatible commands are common on all sorts of equipment. Nano just isn't quite right IMHO