Re: Idea: frontend tool for more efficient license reviewing based on tree-structured IR

Hi,

On Fri, Dec 27, 2019 at 04:54:32PM +0100, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> Quoting Mo Zhou (2019-12-27 02:56:07)
> > I created an amount of NEW packages as a DD, and reviewed an amount of
> > NEW packages in the NEW queue as FTP trainee.
>
> Great.  Also because your experience as FTP trainee sheds some light on
> what may actually aid ftpmaster processing (rather than guessing blindly
> from the outside).
>

> > Existing tools, workflows; And limitations
> >
> > ## Tools
> >
> > https://wiki.debian.org/CopyrightReviewTools
> >
> > I'm unfamiliar with most of them. I'm only describing the two I'm
> > familiar with.  Both licensecheck (Jonas) and debmake (Osamu) do
> > template/regex matching.
>
> Beware that debmake pattern matching and debian/copyright file
> serialization is far inferior to that of licensecheck.

FYI: I agree ;-)

> Long description of debmake claims it "does more than what
> licensecheck(1) offers" but I am puzzled what that sentence means - more
> polished experience (even if less accurate), perhaps?

The licensecheck command before Smedegaard's work which used to reside in
devscripts package is what debmake talks about. It took sometime for me
to get debmake's internal licensechecking ready. Just about as I
released debmake, licensecheck was split and made good progress if I
remember correctly.

My #1 homework for debmake is to remove internal licensechecking and let
it call Smedegaard's licensecheck ;-)  debmake should be thin glue to
call purpose focused command.

> Sorry, I cannot help write a UI frontend in Python.
>
> I might be intrigued to try put together a competing frontend in Perl,
> but I have too much on my plate already, so likely wouldn't make enough
> time for that.

Same here.

Osamu