Re: bootstrap.min.js in pydoctor

Quoting Jonathan Carter (2020-03-05 10:44:50)
> On 2020/03/05 00:47, Sam Hartman wrote:
> >     Anthony> Files:
> >     Anthony> debian/missing-sources/pydoctor/templates/bootstrap.css
> >     Anthony> pydoctor/templates/bootstrap.min.css Copyright: 2011-2015
> >     Anthony> Twitter, Inc.  Embedded copy of normalize.css v3.0.2:
> >     Anthony> 2011-2014 Nicolas Gallagher License: Expat Comment: These
> >     Anthony> files are copies of vanilla Bootstrap v3.3.4 CSS files,
> >     Anthony> identical to those distributed on Bootstrap CDN: *
> >     Anthony> https://maxcdn.bootstrapcdn.com/bootstrap/3.3.4/css/bootstrap.css
> >     Anthony> *
> >     Anthony> https://maxcdn.bootstrapcdn.com/bootstrap/3.3.4/css/bootstrap.min.css
> >
> > Is the css file actually source code though?
> > At least for bootstrap 4, the source code is in sas and the css is not
> > the preferred form for modification.
> > I think bootstrap has been using sas for a long time, so I suspect css
> > is not source code for bootstrap 3 either.
>
> That's not really an issue in the context of the original question,
> Anthony's answer is the correct approach here, that is, patch the
> application (or use a symlink or whatever) to use the CSS file provided
> by the libjs-bootstrap4 package.
>
> Using the CSS file from the libjs-bootstrap4 doesn't present any kind of
> DFSG issue since that package builds the CSS file from the original sass
> sources, see:
> https://salsa.debian.org/js-team/twitter-bootstrap4/-/blob/master/debian/rules

I agree for the _binary_ packages but not for the _source_ package.

The changelog entry which Anthony referenced¹ says this:

> * Add missing embedded epydoc and Bootstrap copyright info as well as
>   non-minified source for bootstrap.min.css (Bootstrap v3.3.4) for
>   DFSG compliance.
[...]
> * Symlink to bootstrap.min.css from libjs-bootstrap instead of
>   shipping pydoctor included bootstrap.min.css v3.3.4 from 2015

As I understand the above, what was corrected for DFSG compliance was a
verification that the code included with the _source_ package was a
minification of css released by the Bootstrap3 project.

I think that is a misunderstanding: Commonly this is indeed one way to
ensure DFSG compliance, but in this case - as Sam pointed out - it is
not enough.

Source package must include the _source_ for the minified css, which in
this case is _not_ non-minified css but less code.

 - Jonas

¹ https://tracker.debian.org/news/1104779/accepted-pydoctor-19110git20200114c74016b-2-source-into-unstable/