Re: Epoch version for google-authenticator

On Sunday, March 1, 2020 12:06:13 AM EST SZ Lin (林上智) wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm working on fixing bugs (including RC) on google-authenticator[1] which
> name should be "google-authenticator-libpam" instead.
>
> [1] https://packages.debian.org/source/sid/google-authenticator
> [2] https://github.com/google/google-authenticator-libpam
>
> I intend to import the new upstream release, but the current upstream
> version changed the versioning scheme and thus epoch is needed to avoid the
> latest version lower than the previous one, as shown below.
>
> =====================
> Previous version: 20170702-2
> Proposed version: 1:1.08-1
>
> I've contacted the package maintainer in January but got no response so far.
> So I plan to upload the package via the NMU process.
>
> Any feedback is welcome.

I'm only commenting about the epoch, since I don't know enough about the
situation to have an opinion on if doing this via NMU is appropriate.

Since you say the package is incorrectly named, would it make more sense to
rename the package now?  Then you wouldn't need an epoch at all.

Scott K