Re: bootstrap.min.js in pydoctor

Quoting Ian Jackson (2020-02-25 18:40:47)
> For -devel, context is that Anthony Fok just uploaded a new upstream
> version of pydoctor (a tool for extracting API docs for python
> modules) in order to fix a couple of upstream bugs.  Anthony, thank
> you very much for your work to help fix one of our (mutual) indirect
> dependencies.
>
> Unfortunately the new pydoctor has some DFSG issues (#952546, CC'd).
>
> I am hoping that -devel can advise what the conventional approach is
> to the package containing a sourceless copy of bootstrap.min.js.
>
> I'm guessing that the answer is to strip the sourceless file from the
> package, and have the binary package contain a symlink into the file
> tree of some other package which contains an appropriate bootstrap
> file ?  But is this right, and if so which package ?
>
> I vaguely remembered this having been discussed before but I couldn't
> find the conclusions written down anywhere.  I looked in quite a few
> places for answers to this: I searched the lintian tags for missing
> source, but they all seemed quite generic.  I tried to search -devel
> archives for "bootstrap" (too many hits) and "bootstrap.min.js"
> (nothing relevant).  I tried various wiki searches too.

If you need Bootstrap 3.x, then add symlink to path
/usr/share/javascript/bootstrap/js/bootstrap.min.js and depend on
package libjs-bootstrap.

If instead you need Bootstrap 4.x, then you should do something similar
but for some path below /usr/share/javascript/bootstrap4 and package
libjs-bootstrap4 (I am vague here because that package apparently use a
symlink internally requiring actually installing the package to know for
certain which exact path it is - no, you should *not* link below
/usr/share/nodejs as that path is not reliable).

 - Jonas