Re: dh_makeshlibs does not generate version info for some packages

On Wed, Feb 19, 2020 at 2:11 PM Andrey Rahmatullin <wrar@debian.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 19, 2020 at 01:52:32PM +0100, Jędrzej Dudkiewicz wrote:
> > ar xf zs-boost_1.71.0_armhf.deb
> > tar xf control.tar.gz
> dpkg-deb -e

Thanks, pretty useful!

> > I have "shlibs" file with (partial output):
> >
> > libboost_atomic 1.71.0 zs-boost
> > libboost_chrono 1.71.0 zs-boost
> > libboost_date_time 1.71.0 zs-boost
> > libboost_filesystem 1.71.0 zs-boost
> > libboost_iostreams 1.71.0 zs-boost
> > libboost_prg_exec_monitor 1.71.0 zs-boost
> > libboost_regex 1.71.0 zs-boost
> >
> > So I'd say yes, yes it is.
> The lines don't have version restrictions so the behavior you see is
> expected and correct. See also deb-shlibs(5).
> Debian library packages are also different for different sonames so not
> having version restrictions works for them in the simplest cases, unlike
> yours.

After experimenting some more I realized that I didn't understood
completely what you meant and how this machinery works. I were finally
able to get expected results by changing debian/rules is zs-boost
package to include "override_dh_makeshlibs" which in turn calls
"dh_makeshlibs -V" - this works exactly as described in manual page.
It is worth noting that non-standard installation directory makes no
difference, and also that dh_makeshlibs and dh_shlibdeps read rpath
from binaries and everything works fine.

Thanks for your help!
--
Jędrzej Dudkiewicz

I really hate this damn machine, I wish that they would sell it.
It never does just what I want, but only what I tell it.