Re: Can Debian packaging changes require a CLA?

On Fri, 2020-02-14 at 15:46 +0000, Dimitri John Ledkov wrote:
> Can a Debian Package Maintainer require CLA for accepting packaging
> changes and distro patches to be uploaded into Debian itself?
>
> (case in point, debian maintainer & upstream wear the same hat, and
> maintain upstream code & packaging on github.com, under a company org
> with a CLA bot, rejecting debian/* merge proposals until CLA is
> signed)
>
> I didn't find things specifically about this in the policy and/or in
> the dfsg-faq and the three classic tests (desert island / dissident /
> tentacles of evil) do not fit the bill quite right.

The DFSG is about what rights owners allow downstream recipients to do,
and not about whether or how they accept contributions back.  And
generally maintainers can follow their own policies for accepting or
rejecting patches.  So I don't think there's anything explicit that
rules this out.

Since NMUs are allowed in some circumstances, there can be an implicit
conflict with such a policy, though as Matthew Garrett pointed out
there are different kinds of CLA.

The Developer's Certificate of Origin can be asserted by someone other
than the original author, and I would feel confident in representing to
upstream that a change made by another DD through an NMU was intended
to be released under the project's stated license.  But if an upstream
project requires a CLA to be executed by every original contributor, I
don't think it is viable to keep the Debian packaging in the upstream
project's repository.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings