Re: Master-Slave terminology Re: [Piuparts-devel] piuparts.d.o stalled?

Hi Ulrike!

* Ulrike Uhlig <ulrike@debian.org> [2020-02-12 17:46:15 +0100]:

> On 12.02.20 17:01, Nicolas Dandrimont wrote:
>
> > In any case, since DSA had to restart everything at UBC, the piuparts slave got
> > restarted as well and it's churning through the backlog. Unfortunately it looks
> > like restarting the slave just eats its logs.
>
> I'd like to attract your attention to this very fine document:
>
> https://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-knodel-terminology-00.html#rfc.section.1.1

Thanks for the pointer to this document; I hope the authors succeed in putting
it through the RFC process.

I know full well the issues with this terminology. Piuparts is a system I
inherited only a few weeks ago, and the master/slave terminology is deeply
ingrained throughout its code and documentation (as well as its deployment).
It's going to take a while as well as substantial effort to switch away to
something else. But I sure intend to get to it at some point.

Before people expend too much energy defending the legacy terminology (/me
glares at #debian-devel), might I suggest directing that energy towards
reporting some bugs discovered by piuparts (or fixing some piuparts bugs)
instead?

Thanks,
--
Nicolas Dandrimont