Re: Heads up: persistent journal has been enabled in systemd

Hi,

On Sat, 2020-02-01 at 13:36 +0000, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> Michael Biebl wrote:
> > with today's upload of systemd 244.1-2 I finally enabled persistent
> > journal by default [1]. It has been a long requested feature.
> >
> > The package will create a directory /var/log/journal on upgrades and new
> > installs, which enables persistent journal in so called auto mode.
>
> Fine for new installations, but please *don't* do this for
> upgrades. Those people with existing logging setups will be surprised
> by this.

I generally prefer upgraded systems to behave more like newly installed
ones, but I wonder if here syslog daemons like rsyslog should ship a
journald.conf dropin in lib/systemd/journald.conf.d/00-rsyslog.conf
setting `Storage=volatile`. If you have installed a syslog daemon, you
likely don't want a persistent journal as well.

Upgraded systems that have rsyslog installed won't get a persistent
journal this way.

The downside is that magic like this might not be easily discoverable
and confuse people who for some reason want a persistent journal and
syslog.

Ansgar