Re: CI vs Releases (was: Upstream rolling releases and version control)

Hi,

On Mon, Feb 10, 2020 at 01:17:02PM +0000, Jeremy Stanley wrote:

> > CI and releases are kind of antithetical. They wouldn't have to
> > be, but this is the way the culture around CI developed.

> As someone who's helped for nearly a decade to maintain CI-driven
> release automation for a very large community of projects, I'm
> actually curious what you see as culturally incompatible between the
> two. It may be the communities I'm most embedded in don't suffer
> this cultural rift, but it's also entirely possible I've got some
> sort of tunnel vision preventing me from seeing it.

It can absolutely be done, and I'm doing that myself, but I often find
myself fighting implicit assumptions in the framework, and either I'm doing
it entirely wrong or these assumptions apply to the majority of users.

The most annoying instance is that there is a notion of a single "current"
state for every project and dependency. I can set up a copy of my pipeline
to implement a "stable" or "production" variant, but I have yet to see a CI
system that is powerful enough to analyze a stable branch for regressions
compared to the branch-off point without a lot of hand-holding. For each
release branch, I find myself copying the existing pipelines and pointing
the new instances at the new branch.

   Simon