Re: packages that are touching /srv?

On Thu, Feb 6, 2020 at 9:23 PM Richard Laager wrote:

> FWIW, at $DAYJOB, our stance is to accept all debconf defaults (e.g. use
> "hit enter at every prompt" or use noninteractive mode) and then
> configure after / on top of that (via debconf or not). So to me, in
> practice, debconf defaulting to /srv/tftp is the same as not having a
> debconf prompt and making it a fixed default. I understand that's not
> the same in theory, where a reasonable argument can be made that the
> admin accepting the debconf prompt is giving their permission.

The debconf priority for some (I assume all) of these prompts is low,
which makes it even more likely that the sysadmin will never see the
prompt and just get the default under /srv.

It is for this reason that I think the default should be unset and the
debconf prompt text could suggest a reasonable path under /srv but not
use it in the default case.

That way, the layout of /srv is exclusively under the control of the
sysadmin and Debian packages never touch it unless directed to do so.

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise