Re: Heads up: persistent journal has been enabled in systemd

On February 5, 2020 6:53:56 AM UTC, Michael Biebl <biebl@debian.org> wrote:
>Am 05.02.20 um 07:01 schrieb Scott Kitterman:
>> Of course the fact that I can't use all the tools available to
>manipulate text
>> files to follow or analyze logs is problematic.
>Fwiw, you can still run
>journalctl -f | grep bla | awk and what not
>which will filter / process incoming messages
>or journalctl | grep ... to filter all of the journal
>
>I might be misunderstanding what you are hinting at, so please
>elaborate
>if the above doesn't address your concerns.

That's only helpful to the extent journalctl is essentially bug free.  With text files there are many different tools/approaches one can use to extract information if there are problems.  Not so now.

Personally I spend very little time in /var/log/syslog.  I'm almost always using facility specific logs which I now understand aren't actually impossible to replicate with journalctl, the combination of these things makes it feel like a huge usability regression.

I feel like you're piling a lot of complexity onto end users for approximately no benefit to most.

Scott K