Re: Request for packaging two simple tools: disk-filltest and digup

On Sun, Jan 19, 2020 at 9:42 AM Timo Bingmann wrote:

> I wonder if it would be possible to package and include two simple but
> extremely useful command line programs in Debian? I wrote them 10 years
> and 7 years ago; they have stood the test of time and remain useful.

As an upstream maintainer you may want to look at our guide:

https://wiki.debian.org/UpstreamGuide

> disk-filltest - A Simple Tool to Detect Bad Disks by Filling with Random Data
> https://panthema.net/2013/disk-filltest/

I took a quick look at this and I noticed a few things:

In the Makefile, $(DESTDIR) should not normally be included in
$(prefix) because if you ever pass $(prefix) as a definition to the
compiler, then the wrong path will be embedded in the binary. So
$(DESTDIR) should only ever be passed to the install targets and never
added to $(prefix).

I noticed you pass -O3 to the compiler by default, I think I would
leave it to the distributor to set that, something like this:

CFLAGS += -W -Wall -ansi

check-all-the-things reports some things when it runs these tools:

$ codespell --quiet-level=3 .
$ cppcheck -j1 --quiet .
# check if these can be switched to https://
$ grep -nHrF http: .
$ include-what-you-use disk-filltest.c
$ mandoc -T lint -W warning *.1
$ spellintian --picky *
$ yamllint .travis.yml

> digup - A Digest Updating Tool
> https://panthema.net/2009/digup/

I took a quick look at this and I noticed a few things:

I suggest removing all the generated files and files copied in by
autotools from the git repository. The tarballs will of course contain
all these files as autoconf/automake will copy them in:

Makefile.in
acscripts/
INSTALL
configure
aclocal.m4

check-all-the-things reports some things when it runs these tools:

$ codespell --quiet-level=3 .
$ cppcheck -j1 --quiet .
$ find . -empty -print
$ include-what-you-use src/*.c src/*.h