Re: Source-only upload and build profiles

On Fri, 17 Jan 2020 at 18:08:59 +0530, Pirate Praveen wrote:
> I tried uploading node-webpack with DEB_BUILD_PROFILES=nocheck sbuild -s
> --source-only-changes

That doesn't mean what you think it does. My understanding is that the
profiles only affect the binaries that *you* built, which were omitted
from the source-only .changes anyway.

Built-For-Profiles: nocheck is information about the binaries you built
not being the "official" version, not a request to buildds to build this
source code with different options.

> This is required because node-uglifyjs-webpack-plugin has dependency on
> webpack (it actually requires files from webpack).

I believe the intention is that you might use build-profiles to bootstrap
your own build environment, but when you upload binaries to the real Debian
archive, they are always meant to be built *without* profiles.

So if you have two packages, foo Build-Depends: bar <!nocheck> and
bar Build-Depends: foo <!nocheck>, you'd have to do something like this:

- build foo with DEB_BUILD_PROFILES=nocheck
- build bar normally
- rebuild foo normally
- delete the temporary DEB_BUILD_PROFILES=nocheck version of foo
  (don't upload it)
- upload either foo or bar with binaries (built with no profiles)
- upload the other package, with or without binaries

(This matters more for profiles that might alter the content of the
packages, like nodoc, stage1, stage2, or any profile that is not "safe".)

    smcv