Re: Is running dpkg-buildpackage manually from the command line forbidden?

Hi Daniel, Sam and all,

Quoting Sam Hartman (2020-01-17 01:27:52)

>     Daniel> (Incidentally, another offshoot was creating local patches to sbuild
>     Daniel> which add an operation mode using systemd-nspawn --ephemeral to start
>     Daniel> a container (along with the base being a BTRFS subvolume to speed up
>     Daniel> the cloning), systemd-run -M debian-sid-amd64-xxx
>     Daniel> [--property=PrivateNetwork=yes] cmd..., etc.  When I sent a message to
>     Daniel> sbuild@packages.debian.org there didn't seem to be any interest in
>     Daniel> having me clean up the patches and send them on.
>
> This sounds like a communication problem or something.  Having
> systemd-nspawn container support in sbuild would be really helpful.
> Would you be willing to try reaching out to the sbuild maintainers
> again?  If you don't get an answer, in a month or so, please reach out
> to me as DPL.  My job would not to be to convince the maintainer to
> accept your patches, but rather to facilitate communication so you can
> get a clear answer.  The DPL does that from time to time when things seem to
> have broken down.

yes, probably a communication problem. I think you are talking about [1] from
August 11 last year? I replied the same day, telling you to please file a bug
with your patches to continue discussion there. But then there was no response
from you anymore and I don't find your bug in the BTS. Maybe my mail got lost
somehow or I fail finding the bug you filed?

I'm also very excited about having yet another chroot backend being integrated
into sbuild! Though my first comment would be the same as I gave those asking
for a docker backend in #867176: maybe try adding that backend to autopkgtest
first. Then more people would profit from having that type of backend available
and no additional changes would be needed in sbuild because sbuild can already
use autopkgtest backends for package building.

Let me also use this opportunity to ask for help with maintaining sbuild. If
any of you reading this ever felt that sbuild was the thing that is worth your
time, please feel free to reach out to me. We need to make a new release fixing
some easy but important bugs that accumulated in the BTS. I would be very happy
to review and apply people's patches. :)

Thanks!

cheers, josch

[1] CADf0C45pjYdQ+HMqetg6AtdqP8Ojw8CR3z1kZ2KTU9z3UA3csA@mail.gmail.com