Re: Help needed: conflicting interests between Salsa admins and Salsa users (Re: Git Packaging Round 2: When to Salsa)

On Mon, 06 Jan 2020, Ulrike Uhlig wrote:

> Hi formorer,
>
> > On 28.12.19 18:16, Alexander Wirt wrote:
> >> On Thu, 26 Dec 2019, Otto Kekäläinen wrote:
> >> I am sure there are many ways to help the team and it is not just
> >> about Salsa/Gitlab admin stuff, but also about creating structure in
> >> the team, triaging issues, spreading best practices for users and
> >> helping the most advanced users to grow into admins of Salsa etc.
> >> Right now we don't even have any kind of salsa-related discussion
> >> list on lists.debian.org. Thus I wanted to raise discussion on
> >> debian-devel. In my opinion Salsa is becoming a very central piece of
> >> the Debian infrastructure and it should have more attention on
> >> debian-devel and from the project leader.
>
> > We are working on it and after my holidays are over I will plan
> > another sprint for improving salsa.
>
> >From your replies to emails in this thread I was wondering: do you mean
> that the Salsa team does not need, or does not want, help? Or does not
> need, or want, help outside of a sprint?
That basically means: yes we probably need help. But it also means that
getting help should be done in a coordinated way, like introducing one or two
team members during a sprint. Getting someone new involved always means
overhead and should happen when there is time for such overhead. In my
experience sprints are ideal for it. I also talked to some people about
getting them involved in salsa, but there will also be a call for help.

I / we plan to add at least one global admin and maybe one or two assistants
that help with "user" support.

We just need some time to plan and coordinate those things (around christmas
is really a bad timing for such discussions)

Alex