Re: opentmpfiles & opensysusers, and its use in the Debian policy

Matthias Klumpp <matthias@tenstral.net> writes:

> I find that statement quite encouraging. Of course they don't commit
> to not having those depend on systemd-as-PID1, but there really isn't
> a reason to create that dependency, and if for whatever reason there
> will be one at some point, we can switch away on systems that don't
> support that change rather easily.

I specifically asked that question in a follow-up to that message and
Zbyszek said that this is very likely to continue to work indefinitely.

That said, I personally don't mind if people want to explore alternate
implementations of the same concept as well.  The important part for me
(and this is with my Policy hat on) is that we can standardize on the
interface, and that interface should be declarative.  In other words,
packages should be able to drop a configuration file in a supported
location and have the right thing happen.

This also allows Guillem to support these facilities properly inside dpkg
with tracking of which users and tmp files belong to which package, using
the same interface, which I think would be ideal in the long run.