Re: Detecting (upcoming) problems using automatic tests

On Thu, Jul 11, 2019 at 10:23:59PM -0300, Chris Lamb wrote:
> Hi Julian,
>
> > I was just thinking that adding deprecation warnings and stuff
> > to software is "nice", but the problem with warnings is that they
> > tend to not break tests.
>
> I'm guessing you have a particular package or use-case in mind that
> sparked this idea — could you share? That might help make this abstract
> concept a little more concrete.
>
> I'm also assuming that you meant for this to be wider than just GCC
> so, for example, making -Werror global wouldn't be sufficient as it
> wouldn't catch, say, warnings from pure-Python packages.

I was thinking that if we add a run-time warning to APT because we
want to remove or change something next release cycle that that probably
won't break your autopkgtest if it just looks for success.

This means that there is not really much advantage to having deprecation
warnings, as everything will "surprisingly" break the next release cycle.

> > I feel like it would be nice to come up with a standard environment
> > variable to turn warnings into errors, so we can ensure issues are
> > fixed and the warnings are actually useful.
>
> Hm, although perhaps DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS is the prefered place for this
> kind of toggle rather than an environment variable?

For builds, yes; for autopkgtest I guess not.

ubuntu core developer                              i speak de, en