Detecting (upcoming) problems using automatic tests

Dear fellow developers,

I was just thinking that adding deprecation warnings and stuff
to software is "nice", but the problem with warnings is that they
tend to not break tests.

I feel like it would be nice to come up with a standard environment
variable to turn warnings into errors, so we can ensure issues are
fixed and the warnings are actually useful.

For example, we could set such a variable for autopkgtests on unstable,
and then see deprecation errors there without breaking testing migration
because a thing was deprecated.

What do you think?

(I'm not subscribed to devel, so you probably want to CC me as I
 read devel only occasionally via nntp otherwise)
ubuntu core developer                              i speak de, en