Re: Consensus Call: Do We Want to Require or Recommend DH; comments by 2019-06-16

On Mon, May 27, 2019 at 08:42:26AM +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:

> Does that paper you talk about point to _causes_ Debian packaging being
> more scary? Is it a) complexities related to hardening, cross-building,
> bootstrapping etc. or b) lack of a single¹ unified build framework, or
> c) that Debian is "different" in package naming and code availability
> than other system package managers or or misc. language-specific package
> managers, or d) something else than what you snipped from the beginning
> of this subthread?

No, this is basically a paper about BioConda and is just mentioning
Debian (Med) as something like the only honest "competitor".  As Alex
mentiones in the other response there are other reasons why Conda
packaging is prefered over Debian packages.  So it the paper is not
about the details you are asking for - but it also meniones that Debian
is to complex for upstreams to consider it.  (I personally do not fully
agree with this since there are lots of programs in this scope that are
pretty easy to package and if they are not its mostly a problem of the
software itself that it is hard to package - but that's a different
discussion.)

Kind regards

       Andreas.

--