Re: Consensus Call: Do We Want to Require or Recommend DH; comments by 2019-06-16

On Sun, May 26, 2019 at 07:28:55PM +0200, Vincent Bernat wrote:
> > We "uphold this reputation" by maintaining many packages, which is
> > good.
>
> Do we? I am now using nix to get packages for stuff not in Debian. Our
> package count is artificially inflated by *-perl packages, golang-*
> packages which may not be present in some other distributions. But for
> some ecosystems, we are severely behind. We may argue we are better on
> some metrics, but this has nothing to do with the fact we have so many
> ways to build a package.

Some Debian Med people are concerned about the droping usage of Debian
Med packages since people prefer BioConda[1] over it.  There is even a
scientific paper (I've only seen a printed version not online yet) who
compares ways to package biology software.  We are way better than other
distributions - but we are lagging begind BioConda a lot.  We have some
upstreams who are doing Debian packaging by the help of the Debian Med
team but that's just a minor fraction.  Lots of BioConda packages are
maintained by Upstream since they consider it easy.

In short:  Our "reputation" is scaring people away to favour other
techniques.

Kind regards

       Andreas.

[1] https://bioconda.github.io/