Re: Difficult Packaging Practices

 ❦ 28 mai 2019 08:59 +08, Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org>:

>> People using tools like fpm will never get familiar with our tools and
>> will never be contributors.
>
> I enjoyed your blog post about pragmatic packaging using Debian's
> tools instead of fpm, it seems like a good approach if one is
> committed to using Debian, especially since it allows for incremental
> improvement towards a package that could even enter Debian.
>
> https://vincent.bernat.ch/en/blog/2019-pragmatic-debian-packaging
>
> OTOH I get the feeling that most FLOSS upstreams are interested in
> cross-OS and cross-distro packaging rather than Debian-specific
> packaging. I don't have a good feeling for how "sticky" OS/distro
> choices are for folks who are building non-FLOSS services on top of
> FLOSS distros.

Yes, upstreams are more likely to prefer one tool. However, if you
contribute a native implementation that works accross the same set of
Debian-derivative distributions, in my experience, they are usually
eager to accept it it stays simple enough to not be a maintenance
burden. Of course, it helps if they didn't start with fpm.
--
Make sure your code "does nothing" gracefully.