dh_testroot usage is still always required (was Re: Do we want to Require or Recommend DH)

On Wed, 2019-05-15 at 09:18:26 +0100, Simon McVittie wrote:
> It uses dh_testroot, so it probably can't have Rules-Requires-Root: no,
> and needs to be built as (fake)root indefinitely - even though a package
> this simple can almost certainly be built correctly without fakeroot.

You've mention this twice in the thread, and this is incorrect. Actually,
removing dh_testroot would be just harmful. Whether a package is to be
built with R³ or not depends in most part on the builder environment,
not the packaging. If you use a new enough dpkg-buildpackage, then it
will enable it if the packaging allows it, otherwise it should require
(fake)root; or if calling debian/rules by hand, even when the packaging
has specified it can be built with no R³.

(See dpkg itself for an example of this.)

Thanks,
Guillem