Re: d-shlibs (Was: Do we want to Require or Recommend DH)

On Tue, May 14, 2019 at 12:50:54PM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Tue, May 14, 2019 at 01:12:17PM +0300, Adrian Bunk wrote:

> > > Its the first time that I hear criticism about d-shlibs usage
> >
> > It is fine in the current "maintainer can do anything" world.
>
> Hmmm, I don't get it:  I'm using dh and in addition I'm using a tool
> that enforces library packaging policy.

A tool nearly noone else uses or knows.

Spending time on trying to understand what such a tool does or why it is
needed in a specific package is not really different from spending time
trying to understand how a buildsystem works.

If it is generally useful it should be done by debhelper automatically,
otherwise it should not be used at all if the goal is to make it easier
for other people to make changes to your packages.

> Kind regards
>
>       Andreas.

cu
Adrian