Re: Do we want to Require or Recommend DH

On Tue, May 14, 2019 at 11:30:11AM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Mon, May 13, 2019 at 10:22:32PM +0300, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > On Mon, May 13, 2019 at 08:33:44AM -0400, Sam Hartman wrote:
> > > Andreas Tille's explanation (quoted below) is typical of what I've heard
> > > in this area.

> > Based on this rationale, Andreas should stop using d-shlibs.
> >
> > Weird tools on top of dh are not that different from using a weird
> > buildsystem when debugging other peoples packages, and d-shlibs is
> > something I've seen involved in bugs more than once.
>
> Its the first time that I hear criticism about d-shlibs usage

It is fine in the current "maintainer can do anything" world.

> and I'm
> fine with discussing this but I'd prefer not to spoil the current
> thread.

It is actually part of it, due to:

> As far as I understood the point of the discussion is that we want to
> get the whole archive more uniform to reduce the potential causes for
> bugs *in* *the* *future*.

If this is the point, then weird tools on top of dh are part of the
problem just as weird buildsystems are.

> > When you debug for the first time a non-trivial problem in a complex
> > package like src:gcc-8 or in a package in an ecosystem like Haskell you
> > can easily spend hours just for figuring out what is actually going on
> > or how to pass additional flags. Whether or not the build machinery is
> > using dh is not a big difference when you have to understand what is
> > actually going on.
>
> I for myself prefer to debug code based on the same tool set.

This is pretty much impossible.

dh is nice when it supports whatever you want to do,
but for everything else it is just another layer you
have to understand when debugging and fixing problems.

Imagine you want to make ghc pass an additional flag to gcc.

The layering is as follows:
Debian haskell scripts
upstream build system
ghc
gcc

You end up at questions:
How can I tell ghc to pass a parameter to gcc?
How can I tell the upstream build system to pass a parameter to ghc?
How can I tell the Debian haskell scripts to pass a parameter to the
upstream build system?

debian/rules is already a 3-line
#!/usr/bin/make -f

include /usr/share/cdbs/1/rules/debhelper.mk
include /usr/share/cdbs/1/class/hlibrary.mk

It wouldn't help you if that would be changed to a 3-line
#!/usr/bin/make -f

%:
	dh $@ --with haskell

In either case there is a huge Haskell-specific build machinery you
have to understand for making some kinds of debugging or changes.

> Kind regards
>
>       Andreas.

cu
Adrian