Re: Preferred git branch structure when upstream moves from tarballs to git

Hello,

On Thu 09 May 2019 at 01:23PM +01, Ian Jackson wrote:

> For your workflow, I see broadly two possibilities, depending what
> representation you use for upstream source code:
>
>  (i) You use upstream tarballs as your representation of the upstream
>      source code, and do not use upstream git branches.
>
>      If this is the case then the benefits for everyone in me
>      implementing #903392 for you, and you then using `dgit
>      push-source', are - frankly - limited.  The resulting dgit git
>      branch would still contain imports of .orig tarballs, rather than
>      the actual upstream git history.
>
>      The user of `dgit clone' would get your *packaging* history,
>      sure, but this is a much more minor benefit.

A benefit not mentioned here is that it gets another class of DDs typing
`dgit push-source` for their uploads.  If getting all DDs typing `dgit
push-source` to upload is going to be how we make source packages
obsolete, that's significant.

--
Sean Whitton